First Grace – where the city worships
This Sunday at First Grace
Sunday school (all ages) will resume on January 7th.
9:00 AM Spanish Language Worship
11:10 AM English Language Worship
Rev., Dr. Torin Sanders
Sixth Baptist Church
Pastor Shawn’s reading + recommendations for 2018
- Podcast: On Being. Te Nehisi Coates interviewed by Krista Tippet. Imagining a New America. Coates is one of the most important voices in America today.https://onbeing.org/programs/ta-nehisi-coates-imagining-a-new-america-nov2017/
- Barking to the Choir-The Power of Radical Kinship, Gregory Boyle, Founder of Homeboy and Homegirl Industries-“I’ve learned from giving thousands of talks that you never appeal to the consciousness of your audience but, rather, introduce them to their own goodness.” A quote from the introduction.
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Alire Saez. A coming of age novel for tweens. My then 13 year old daughter insisted that I read this book. I’m grateful
- Deep Is the Hunger-meditations by Rev. Howard Thurman. Martin L King’s mentor, and a rare spiritual and theological voice.
- Parable of the Sower, and Parable of the Talents, Octavia Butler.A two part, science fiction series about a teenage girl in America in 2030-75. While written in the 1990’s about America in 2030, it a feels a bit too real-environmentally and politically.
- All the Light We Cannot See, Anthony Doerr. A WWII historical novel about a German boy and a French girl and the choices they make during the time of War.
- The Spirituality of Imperfection, Ernest Kurtz & Katherine Ketcham. A rich book about the Divine, self-awareness, and what to do with it.
- Divine Therapy and Addiction-centering prayer and the 12 steps, This is actually an interview with Father Thomas Keating, a Trappist monk. It is practical and deep, and offers the spirituality of the 12 Steps without needing to be an alcoholic to benefit.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, 2016 Drew University Commencement Address: A Letter to Future Generations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyCo_0Geoxc
The Youth Ministry
is asking if there is anyone who has a sofa to donate for the youth Sunday School room upstairs. Please contact Marice Bailey at email@example.com
with pictures or details about the furniture you would like to donate.
The Adult Choir resumes rehearsal on January 3, 2018 at 7:00pm in the Chapel.
Couple Ministry – meets each month on the first Monday and is using
“7 Inhibitors of Intimacy” along with “Marriage Today” by Jimmy Evans. The series will run through May 7th and the next meeting is on Monday, January 8, 2018. For additional information please contact Jennifer Moss, 504-616-7431.
First Grace Parents Prayer Line Every Tuesday at 8:30 PM. Call 641.715.3580, Access Code 838575#.
Men’s Morning Call, Tuesday, 7:15-8:15AM at Morning Call Café in City Park, “Illusions” by Richard Bach -All are welcome.
Disciple II continues each Thursday at 1:00 PM in the Parlor. Led by Toni Antrum. New day and time. Resumes on January 8th.
Monday Meditation 6 PM -6:45 PM, each week in the Chapel.
Green Tip Happy New Year! If you want to get organized and de-clutter this year, some tips to help will be listed for the next several weeks. Linen closet: if you are replacing towels, bath rugs or blankets, consider donating your old ones to area animal rescues. These groups can use old sheets, pet beds and other pet gear. The LA SPCA can use bedding of any kind and even old or mismatched socks. (These are used to make cat toys!) They also request bags of unopened pet food and kitty litter either opened or unopened. Tennis balls, heating pads, newspaper and plastic bags are also needed. Contact the SPCA at 504-368-5191
. They are located at 1700 Mardi Gras Blvd
on the West Bank. The Tuesday Community meal will also accept kitchen towels.
The meal is served at 12:30 PM and volunteers are always needed. You may contact Marilyn Prince at firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact the church office. Tuesday Meal will resume on January 16th.
Desmond Project Looking for a way to make a difference in our community. The Desmond Project provides a healthy, nutritious meal to the men, women and children at the New Orleans Mission every Saturday evening. Contact Jackie Vinson at email@example.com, or Neil Poynter at
The Sanctuary Hospitality Committee at FGUMC have been asked to support the following:
Jose’s birthday is 12/30. Please consider dropping off or mailing Jose an encouraging birthday or Christmas card (in Spanish or English) to: Attn: Jose Torres, First Grace UMC, 3401 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70119. Jose has his own mailbox so your card or gift will go directly to him.
-A need for a few people who have reliable vehicles that can fit 3 or more people to rotate driving Jose’s family, especially to church on Sunday afternoons. Please sign up here for more information: https://goo.gl/forms/KWyO3919xvIpLouq2
. Or, mail or deliver an Uber or Lyft gift card to Attn: Sanctuary Committee, First Grace UMC, 3401 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70119.
– Sign up at https://mealtrain.com/0nv3k4
to deliver a week’s worth of groceries for Jose (& his family). Feel free to partner up with a few friends as each sign up is for a whole week of food. FGSanctuaryCommittee@gmail.com.
will email you his grocery list a few days before you’re scheduled.
Monthly Phone Bill
– Donate at the donation link at https://mealtrain.com/0nv3k4
. Or, mail or deliver a pre-paid visa card to Attn: Sanctuary Committee, First Grace UMC, 3401 Canal St, New Orleans, LA 70119.
5 Ways to make a gift
1. Online: On Realm/Vanco Services
2. Use your smart phone and scan the UC Code below.
Note: The UC code reader app is free through the Apple Store or GooglePlay
3. Text Messaging
Send a text 73256 and in the body of the message type FIRSTGRACENOLA GIVING and follow the prompts. Standard text message rates do apply.
4. Automatic draft: Please set-up with your Financial Institution
5. The Old Fashion Way: Write a check
First Grace, 3401 Canal Street, New Orleans, 70119