Monday Meditation is a guided meditation by Dan Thelen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Reading and other Recommendations for 2018
– Future Home of the Living God-a novel, Louise Erdrich,
Evolution stops as mysteriously as it began. Pregnancy and childbearing quickly become issues of state security… a moving meditation on the divine presence, female agency, and the power of love
– Everything Happens for a Reason–and other lies I’ve Loved,
Kate Bowler. A memoire. Bowler is young, faithful, living the dream then…stage IV colon cancer. Her journey from faith to new faith.
– Barking to the Choir-The Power of Radical Kinship, Gregory Boyle, Founder of Homeboy and Homegirl Industries-“I’ve learned from giving thousands of talks that you never appeal to the consciousness of your audience but, rather, introduce them to their own goodness.” A quote from the introduction.
– Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Alire Saez. A coming of age novel for tweens. My then 13 year old daughter insisted that I read this book. I’m grateful
– Parable of the Sower, and Parable of the Talents, Octavia Butler.
A two part, science fiction series about a teenage girl in America in 2030-75. While written in the 1990’s about America in 2030, it a feels a bit too real-environmentally and politically.
– Divine Therapy and Addiction-centering prayer and the 12 steps, This is actually an interview with Father Thomas Keating, a Trappist monk. It is practical and deep, and offers the spirituality of the 12 Steps without needing to be an alcoholic to benefit.