Seekers Class where questions are encouraged, listening is required and hearts are accepted. Come and join co-leaders Dan Thelen and Kahlida Lloyd in what will be a time of exploring how God can meet us right where we are and help us grow through seeking and discussion. Classes are at 10:00AM each Sunday in the Parlor.
THE GATHERING – FIRST GRACE ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL CLASS
Contact Adria Kimbrough at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join us in the upstairs conference room!
April 1 He Has Risen
Purpose: To realize that for nonbelievers, “the cross is foolishness” while we know “it is the power of God” for our salvation (Scripture: Luke 24:1-35)
April 8 The Risen Lord Appears
Purpose: To encounter Jesus in shared experiences. (Scripture: John 21:1-14)
April 15 Follow Me
Purpose: To feast on Christ’s presence and word, and share the feast with others. (Scripture: John 21:15-25)
Couples Ministry – meets each month on the first Monday and is using “7 Inhibitors of Intimacy” along with “Marriage Today” by Jimmy Evans.For additional information please contact Jennifer Moss, 504-616-7431. Due to Easter, the next meeting is scheduled for April 9th.
First Grace Parents Prayer Line Every Tuesday at 8:30 PM. Call 641.715.3580, Access Code 838575#.
Men’s Morning Call, Tuesday, 7:15-8:15AM at Morning Call Café in City Park, “Everything Happens for a Reason” Kate Bowler-All are welcome.
Disciple II continues each Thursday at 1:00 PM in the Parlor. Led by Toni Antrum.
Green Tip Have you heard of the Green Project? It’s a New Orleans non-profit that is a warehouse of salvaged building materials for sale. It also has a paint recycling program! Check out their stuff or donate leftover materials and paint. See thegreenproject.org for more info.
Reading and other Recommendations for 2018
– Future Home of the Living God-a novel, Louise Erdrich,
Evolution stops as mysteriously as it began. Pregnancy and childbearing quickly become issues of state security… a moving meditation on the divine presence, female agency, and the power of love
– Everything Happens for a Reason–and other lies I’ve Loved, Kate Bowler. A memoire. Bowler is young, faithful, living the dream then…stage IV colon cancer. Her journey from faith to new faith.
– Barking to the Choir-The Power of Radical Kinship, Gregory Boyle, Founder of Homeboy and Homegirl Industries-“I’ve learned from giving thousands of talks that you never appeal to the consciousness of your audience but, rather, introduce them to their own goodness.” A quote from the introduction.
– Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Benjamin Alire Saez. A coming of age novel for tweens. My then 13 year old daughter insisted that I read this book. I’m grateful
– Parable of the Sower, and Parable of the Talents, Octavia Butler.
A two part, science fiction series about a teenage girl in America in 2030-75. While written in the 1990’s about America in 2030, it a feels a bit too real-environmentally and politically.
– Divine Therapy and Addiction-centering prayer and the 12 steps, This is actually an interview with Father Thomas Keating, a Trappist monk. It is practical and deep, and offers the spirituality of the 12 Steps without needing to be an alcoholic to benefit.